Watch repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch repair

Ok, I have an 1864 American Watch Company Pocket Watch that does not run, and need a glass cover for the inside over the arms.

There are no alod watchmakers close to me, any suggestions?

Thanks,
    S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Re: Watch repair

Run up to the 'burg...I think there's still a watch guy upstairs in the NW corner of the square.
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Tilghman Jewelers here in Annapolis, MD does pocket watch repair and cleaning. They might be able to help.

Tilghman Jewlers
      44 State Circle, Annapolis, MD 21401
      (410) 268-7855
      Matthew Semple

Comment

The Old Watch Company in OK has always did me right at a fair price.

They will fix it and send you the bill with the watch. If you like what they have done, you send them a check. A Bezel is $30 and a cleaning with main spring is $100. At least that is what they charged me.
        Claude Sinclair
        Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinGuardsNYSM View Post
          Run up to the 'burg...I think there's still a watch guy upstairs in the NW corner of the square.
          Marc's correct. The place is called "out of time" or something like that. They are right next to The Pub on the north/west corner of the square in Gettystown!
          [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Chris,

The name of the company is "House of Time" and the address is;
            17 Lincoln Square
            Second Floor
            Gettysburg, Pa. 17325
            The name of the watchmaker is Jim Michaels. I have purchased a few items from him in the past. If he cannot help you I have another watchmaker here in Georgia that I use.
            Bruce MacDonald

Comment

Gents,

Thanks for all the help, will move forward and get this thing running again.

Pards,
              S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

S&S Firearms acquires damaged pocket watches and has a man who does all their repairs. I have seen many of the before and afters and they show quality work at a reasonable price. You already have many good recommendations, but if you like I will get you the contact info. Let me know if the other sites do not pan out for you.
                Last edited by Sgt Rob ODG; 11-27-2006, 06:11 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Try Bill Brewster at the Wisconsin Veteran's Museum. Believe it or not, Bill has graduated from a watch repair school and is a certified watch repairman. He specialized in 1860s pocket watches.

I actually took him to a job interview in Richmond VA in 1988 and worked in a watch repairshop for a couple of years in Richmand, before he went back to museum curatorship school.

Weed
                  John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                  The Hard Head Mess
                  The Old Northwest Volunteers
                  5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
                  Civil War Battlefield Preservation
                  Sons of American Revolution
                  Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
                  Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
                  Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

Chris,

Old Towne Jewelers in Walkersville on MD 194 does good work, may have crystals in stock, and they are local. Just as a reminder, if a wound watch doesn't want to start, a light thump in the palm of your hand often solves the problem, and is a period technique. That is a "light thump."
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Watch repair & purchase

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is interested in purchasing or repairing "period" pocket watches I highly recommend "The House of Time" in Gettysburg, PA. The proprietor is Mr. James Michaels C.M.H., and is excellent to deal with. I was having a time piece repaired (while I waited), and he received a phone call from the Prop Mgr for a film group doing a documentary on John Adams.
                      He pulled out a half dozen of circa 1800 pocket watches, all in perfect condition and the deal was done. His work is equal to the "Old World" masters, and his prices are reasonable and negotiable.

His information is as follows:

The House of Time
                      James Michaels C.M.H.
                      17 Lincoln Sq.
                      2nd Floor South
                      Gettysburg, PA 17325

717-334-9883

I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone is interested.
                      Jim "Jed" Dilts
                      27th D
                      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

I purchased my period pocket watch from Jim Michael's. Excellent prices and a great guy to work with. He also does expert repair, can change out a crystal usually while you wait (Has many on site so chances are he can find a crystal that fits)
                        [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Chris,

If you need a new crystal, be sure to check with the repairman about the material he is going to use. Glass crystals in the large sizes used in mid-century watches are not being made any more and most repairmen are using plastic. I had to have a glass crystal custom made for the watch I dropped in my driveway coming home from an event. You will also find that there is frequently a difference between the folks who repair the "works" and those who repair cases (just like at the time there was a difference between who manufactured the works and who manufactured the case). The two require different skills and different tools. Check with the shop to find out who is doing what.

Regards,

Paul Kenworthy

Comment

Working...
                          X