Odd Michigan Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Michigan Uniform

This is the Calvin Colgrove, the first Michigan soldier killed in the Civil War. He was the flag bearer at the First Battle of Bull Run. The image is from a drawing of him in an odd uniform. Because the regiment was issued dark blue roundabouts, I suspect this uniform was made up locally for the company prior to it being issued its regimental uniforms. Can anyone help me come up with a description of what he is wearing? Would you call it a poorly made semi Zouave uniform? Note the lower button and how the jacket seems to button across his belly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Calvin Colegrove 1st Mich Inf Co I.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	231226
    William Carr

Re: Odd Michigan Uniform

I have seen at least a couple of images with the subject wearing a garment that looks like a type of jacket/sweater (for lack of a better term), and, though I could be wrong, I don't think they are meant to be uniforms.

I wonder if anyone who knows more about civilian clothes might be able to add anything.

Both of these images are from the Liljenquist Collection from the LoC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	37281r.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	224402Click image for larger version

Name:	37278r.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	224403
    Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Re: Odd Michigan Uniform

Bob Roeder

Thank you for your help. Those are great examples of similar uniforms. His company wore different pre-war militia uniforms, but the newspaper indicated that local citizens made up uniforms for the company before it left to join the First Michiang Infantry. The State issued them new uniforms before they left for Federal service. Calvin Colgrove's story is interesting because he was the first Michigan solder to get killed in action during the battle of Bull Run. When he died carrying the flag the young body servant of his captain pick up the flag and carried it forward until he was wounded seven times.

I am writing an article about Michigan Civil War militia uniforms to publish in the Company of Military Historian Journal. I want to describe the uniform Colgrove is wearing, but a good description which would let the reader understand what he wore, escapes me. Perhaps a sweater with trim around the collar and down the front might be an adequate description. I may just use a copy of the drawing in the article, but because the company only wore the uniform for a couple of weeks, it seems like a waste of space that I could put to better use. Then again, his uniform is a good example of the temporary uniforms several city made up for their volunteers.

Thank you again. I will have to decide on what photographs and original art work I will include in my article.
      William Carr

Comment

Working...
      X